Department of Pharmacy
- PhD on Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences from Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- Master of Pharmacy (Thesis Group) from University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (with Honours) from University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- 2020 (3/3/2020 to date): Working as a Professor, in the Department of Pharmacy, Rajshahi University, Bangladesh.
- 2015 (30/12/2014- 2/3/2020): Worked as an Associate Professor, in the Department of Pharmacy, Rajshahi University, Bangladesh.
- 2014 (02/12/2013-16/05/2014): Worked as a research fellow in Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences Department, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- 2014 (17/06/2010-29/12/2014): Worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacy, Rajshahi University.
- 2008–2013: Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences Department, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- 2013 (14/10/2011-31/08/2013): Worked as a casual research officer in Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences Department, Macquarie University, Sydney.
- 2013 (01/09/2012-31/08/2013): Worked as a casual LC-MS officer position in Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences Department, Macquarie University, Sydney.
- 2012 (24/02/11-30/06/12): Worked as a casual tutor and marker for Practical Chemistry courses (CBMS 101&103) of Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences Department, Macquarie University, Sydney.
- 2009: Worked as a casual tutor and marker for a Practical Chemistry course (CBMS 101) at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- 2006 (01/07/2006–16/06/2010): Worked as a lecturer in the Dept of Pharmacy, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance and Validation
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Drug Regulatory Affairs
- Pharmacy Law and Ethics
- Isolation and structure elucidation of bioactive compounds from traditional medicinal plants and other natural sources.
- Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, cytotoxic and hepatoprotective activities of extracts and pure compounds.
- Collaborative research with Indigenous communities.
- Diversified practical and research experience in Natural Product Chemistry, with emphasis on isolation and identification of chemical constituents in plant extracts. Have extensively applied the modern chemical isolation and identification procedures, e.g. column chromatography, HPLC and GC-MS techniques. Also used modern techniques for structure elucidation, e.g. UV, IR, NMR, LC-MS, High-resolution Mass spectrometry.
- Research experience on evaluating antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of extracts and compounds by MTT microdilution, disc diffusion, nitric oxide inhibition, PGE2, TNF-α inhibition and ORAC assays.
- Advanced skill in data analysis: using TOPSPIN (for NMR data), Chemdraw, SPSS and GraphPad prism software.
- Basic computer skill includes Microsoft office, Internet explorer, Scifinder scholar etc.
- Samina Yesmin, Arkajyoti Paul, Tarannum Naz, A. B. M. Atiqur Rahman, Sarkar Farhana Akhter, Mir Imam Ibne Wahed, Talha Bin Emran, Shafayet Ahmed Siddiqui. Membrane Stabilization as a mechanism of the anti-inflammatory activity of ethanolic root extract of Choi (Piper chaba). Clinical Phytoscience, 2020, 6: 59. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40816-020-00207-7
- Ronok Zahan, Sinthyia Ahmed, Tahmida Sharmin, Mohammad A. Halim, Md. Sifat Rahi, Md. Chanmiya Sheikh, Ryuta Miyatake, Ennio Zangrando, Tarannum Naz, Md. Al Amin-Al-Azadul Islam and Md Abu Reza. Synthesis of bis [benzyl-N′- hydrazinecarbodithioato-κ2 N′,S]nickel(II) complex as a novel lead molecule for cancer 5 treatment. Applied Organometallic Chemistry, 2020 (Published Online). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aoc.6036
- Ronok Zahan, Tahmida Sharmin, Masud Rana, Md. Zahirul Islam, Tarannum Naz, Mir Imam Ibne Wahed, Md Abu Reza, Gaber ElSaber Batiha and Md. Aziz Abdur Rahman. Comparative Quantitative Analysis of Collected Milk Samples from Northern Region of Bangladesh. Journal of Animal Research and Nutrition, 2020, 5. DOI: 10.36648/2572- 54220.127.116.11
- Alam Khan, T M Fahad, Md Imran Nur Manik, Hazrat Ali, Md. Ashiquazzaman, Md Ibrahim Mollah, Tanjeena Zaman, Md Shariful Islam, Moizur Rahman, Aminur Rahman, Mostafizur Rahman, Tarannum Naz, Mahmud Arif Pavel and Md. Nuruzzaman Khan. Barriers in access to healthcare services for individuals with disorders of sex differentiation in Bangladesh: an analysis of the regional representative cross-sectional data. BMC Public Health, 2020, 20: 1261. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-09284-2
- Ronok Zahan, Md. Sifat Rahi, Md. Chanmiya Sheikh, Ryuta Miyatake, Ennio Zangrando, Tarannum Naz, Md. Al-Amin-Al-Azadul Islam, Md Abu Reza. Design, synthesis and X-ray structural studies of novel [acetonitrile-benzyl-3-N-(2, 4 dihydroxyphenylmethylene) hydrazinecarbodithioato-κ3-N′, S, O] nickel (II) complex that potently inhibit cell proliferation through regulation of apoptosis related genes. Applied organometallic Chemistry, 33 (1), 2019. https://doi.org/10.1002/aoc.4601
- Samina Yesmin, Ronok Zahan, Md. Monjad Hossain, A. B. M. Atiqur Rahman, Alam Khan, Mir Imam Ibne Wahed and Tarannum Naz. Antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective potential of Piper chaba roots against paracetamol-induced liver injury. Pharmacology and Pharmacy, 2019, 10, 484-497. https://doi.org/10.4236/pp.2019.1011040
- Monalisa Monwar, Ambia Khatun, Masud Parvez, Tarannum Naz, Mir Imam Ibne Wahed, Md Ekramul Haque, Sumon Chandra Debnath, Md Imran Khan. “Clinical presentation and treatment in patients with acute coronary syndrome in a tertiary care general hospital in Bangladesh”. Asian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, 2018, 4 (1). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3329/ajmbr.v4i1.36829
- Manobendro Nath Ray, Tarannum Naz, Alam Khan, Md. Hanif Ali. “Antidiabetic potential of methanolic extract of leave and bark of Bangladeshi medicinal plant Bauhinia acuminata L on mice”. Journal of diabetes and metabolism, 2017, 8, (9). DOI: 10.4172/2155-6156.1000762
- Tarannum Naz, Joanne Packer, Joseph J. Brophy, Hans Wohlmuth, Dane E. Renshaw, Joshua Smith, Yaegl community elders, Subramanyam R Vemulpad and Joanne F Jamie, “Bioactivity and chemical characterization of Lophostemon suaveolens - an endemic Australian Aboriginal traditional medicinal plant". Natural Product Research, 2016, 30 (6). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14786419.2015.1038260.
- Samina Yesmin, Md. Sharlamin Huda, Pulok Kumar Biswas, Mir Imam Ibne Wahed and Tarannum Naz. ‘’Risk Factors of Myocardial Infarction in the Northern Region of Bangladesh’’. Journal of Scientific Research, 8 (1), 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.3329/jsr.v8i1.243756
- Joanne Packer, Tarannum Naz, Yaegl community elders, David Harrington, Joanne F Jamie and Subramanyam R Vemulpad, “Antimicrobial activity of customary medicinal plants of the Yaegl Aboriginal community of northern New South Wales, Australia: a preliminary study”. BMC Research Notes, 2015, 8 (1), p. 276. DOI: 10.1186/s13104- 015-1258-x
- Tarannum Naz, Ashik Mosaddik, M. Ekramul Haque. “Toxicological evaluation of a monoterpene ester, bornyl piperate from Piper chaba root”. International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2014, 5 (12), pp. 783-785. DOI: 10.7897/2230-8407.0512186.
- Tarannum Naz, Ashik Mosaddik, Md. Motiur Rahman, Ilias Muhammad, Md. Ekramul Haque and Somi Kim Cho,“Antimicrobial, Antileishmanial and Cytotoxic compounds from Piper chaba”, Natural Product Research, 2012, 26(11), pp. 979-986. DOI:10.1080/14786419.2010.535166
- Tarannum Naz, Ashik Mosaddik, M. Ekramul Haque, “Antimicrobial and Cytotoxic Activities of Root Extracts of Piper chaba”, Journal of Scientific Research, 2009, 1, pp.138-144. DOI: 10.3329/jsr.vlil.1446
Awards and Honors
- 2008-2013: International Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship (iMQRES) Scholarship, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- 2012: Macquarie University Postgraduate Research Fund (PGRF)
- 2011: Departmental supplementary award, CBMS Department, Macquarie University, Sydney
- 1999-2000: Postgraduate Scholarship, Ministry of Education, Government of Bangladesh
- 1996-1999: Undergraduate Scholarship, Ministry of Education, Government of Bangladesh
Membership and Professional Activities
- Bangladesh Pharmacy Council
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute Incorporated (RACII) Natural product group.
Conferences/ Seminars Attended
- Five days (2-6 September, 2012) International Society of Ethnopharmacology (ISE) conference in Graz, Austria.
- One day symposium by RACI, the NSW Natural Product group, Australia at the University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia on 30 September 2011.
- Two days symposia by RACI, the NSW Analytical Chemistry group, Australia at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia on 12-13 July, 2011.
- Organic Symposium by RACI, NSW Organic Chemistry Group at University of Sydney, Australia, held on 3 rd December 2008.
- Organic Symposium by RACI Natural product group, Australia at Southern Cross University, Lismore, Australia held on 3 rd October 2008.
- Halpern Symposium at University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia, held on 10 th July 2008.